the GARMIN specialist

Well, it is sounding like good old Peanut Butter might actually be not that bad for the likes of runners (not sure if that will also apply if jam added as well) but for a great food intake, it seems to be good.

For peanut butter to be called that, the container must first of all contain at least 90% peanuts, that is quite a bit per jar really, the remaining 10% is made up of stuff to help make it spread, plus salt and sugar.

Why is Peanut Butter good for Runners?

Peanut butter has a low Gi index, meaning it will assist you with feeling fuller longer after you have eaten, compared with say just eating a banana to get your carbohydrates. That feeling of fullness can really help you when you are running, especially when others feel like they are tanking near the end of the race.

Straight sugar or simple sugars that are found in carbs, generally shoot your insulin levels high soon after you have it, then drops away really quick halfway through your workout, whereas peanut butter is full of fat, protein, and fiber as well which will give you a slow, sustained release of energy. Yes it does contain fat as well, but it is mainly unsaturated fat, which is also good for your heart.

Studies show that diets high in unsaturated fats lower bad cholesterol and generally make the heart a much healthier machine. And as a good source of protein, it’s a primary building block in muscle growth and helps speed muscle recovery. A 2-tablespoon serving of peanut butter contains 8 grams of protein – not too bad at all I think.

Ideas for Peanut Butter:

Peanut butter on crackers, an apple, or banana. The great thing about peanut butter is that it doesn’t spoil. You can pack a snack of peanut butter on crackers in the morning and not worry about it going bad all day, and then eat it an hour before practice to get ready to run. Or you could carry a jar of peanut butter in your school backpack. That, and an apple or banana and a knife, and you have the makings of a healthful runner’s snack.

Peanut Butter Power Fudge:

Peanut Butter Fudge

This delicious healthy fudge recipe is perfect for your after gym workouts that are Gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and all-natural ingredients make it a wonderful go-to treat to keep their bodies full of the energy they need. Warning: These will quickly become your friends favorite too!

Makes 48 servings

1 x 450gm Jar Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
1 x 1/4 Cup Natural Honey
2 scoops 100% Natural Whey Chocolate Protein Powder
3 Cups Gluten-Free Oats

1. Heat peanut butter in the microwave for 90 seconds.
2. Add in honey, stir.
3. Mix in protein powder.
4. Combine oats with peanut butter mixture.
5. Spread evenly in 9×13″ pan, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. Cut into 1 1/2″ squares, and enjoy!

Each 1 1/2″ fudge square has: 110 calories, 5 grams of fat, 12.5 grams of carbs, 1.1 grams of fiber, and 5.5 grams of protein.

Bottom Line

Peanut butter also is a good source of niacin and folic acid (they help convert food to energy) and vitamin E. In addition, the dense calories in peanut butter keep your energy level on an even keel and your hunger down throughout the day. And that, in turn, will prevent you from overeating and keep you eating healthfully all day.

Before heading out for a run you could even have a banana with 1 to 2 tablespoons of peanut butter: 33 grams of carbs (peanut butter is about 4 grams per tablespoon)

You’ve successfully subscribed to Fitness New Zealand - the GARMIN specialist - News and Blog
Welcome back! You’ve successfully signed in.
Great! You’ve successfully signed up.
Your link has expired
Success! Check your email for magic link to sign-in.